Saturday, May 10, 2008

This Rachel Drives a sports car



Recently, my husband picked me up from the airport driving this car.

There's a story behind this car. Every day we drive past this Mitsubishi dealership. I had often commented on the cute Eclipse sports cars, but never actually for once thought that I would buy this for myself. I still have kids to drive around!

But my husband knew better. I was out of town when my old car’s engine started heating up, so he took it in to the dealership. It was going to cost several thousand dollars to repair it, so we decided to just trade it in for a newer car. He told me on the phone about this great silver Eclipse, “6 speeds, lots of power”.

I complained – “who cares about speed and power, I drive children around, within the speed limit, I need a sensible car” – but I really did want it, my husband knew I wanted it, my kids knew I wanted it. And they all knew I was Rachel – only I was still thinking I was Leah. (See Whitney Johnson's wonderful post, Rachel vs. Leah: Reclaiming our power to dream) http://daretodream.typepad.com/weblog/2006/10/rachel_vs_leah_.html

The first 3 days I was embarrassed to drive my flashy little car. Then my teenage son
reminded me, “Mom, not allowing yourself to enjoy a gift is being ungrateful”. That’s
when I remembered I was a Rachel, and began to enjoy driving me new car.

How is it possible that I'd never even test-driven the car?
What dreams have we not taken for a spin?
Are we surrounding ourselves with people that see our Rachel?

BTW, power and speed do mean something. It’s a lot more fun getting to the speed
limit, when you can do it really fast!

No comments: