Thursday, May 15, 2008

Thoughts on Harry Potter

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows. Not only a great read, but a few nuggets of wisdom to boot. Here is my favorite, found on page 671. It is a description of James, Harry’s father, when he and Snape first meet as young boys:
“…slight, black haired like Snape, but with that indefinable air of having been well-cared-for, even adored, that Snape so conspicuously lacked.”
It hit me that this is one of the great gifts we hopefully give our children. That indefinable air of confidence that comes from being loved and nurtured.
Later that afternoon my son, Jason, confirmed my theory. I was giving him and a friend a ride to a game and we were discussing something challenging he wanted to do. I automatically responded, “Oh you’ll be fine, you have a great mind”. He chuckled and said to his friend, “That’s why I’m so cocky, she’s always saying stuff like that”. I don’t think anyone would describe Jason as cocky, he is a sensitive, generous, friendly kid. But he is confident. He has that “indefinable air of having been well-cared-for, even adored”. I’m glad I can give him that.

No comments: