Monday, March 23, 2015

Yoga is not just stretching!



Oh my goodness, the more I learn the more I realize how little I know. In all aspects of my life, but right now specifically about Yoga.

Yoga involves a lot of stretching, but it is not just about flexibility. Yoga involves strength, but it's not just a workout. Yoga involves breath work, relaxation, learning to be present, compassion for self and others, awareness, and so much more.

I recently read an article by Ganga White, "Standing Upon the Shoulders of the Past". One paragraph stood out to me. Ganga says:

One of the more valuable things I've learned is to listen to and trust is the intelligence of the body. After all it is millions of years old, which give it seniority to tradition! When I have been climbing mountains...I adjust my Yoga to a softer and more stretching practice which balances the tightening. If the body has been more sedentary I find that a more flowing, vigorous asana practice seems to "happen". There can be many ways to practice asana....

I'm learning BodhiFlow, an energizing evolution of Yoga Vinyasa; BodhiYin, a yummy healing and restorative practice; and soon BodhiSpin, a gentle blend of Kundalini style yoga. Along with Pranayama (breath practice) and Meditation. A grand adventure at Bodhi Yoga.



No comments: