Friday, August 7, 2015

The Psoas

Before I began my yoga studies with Syl Carson at Bodhi Yoga, I didn't even know I had a PSOAS muscle.

I have learned that this muscle is located deep in the abdomen and that it stretches from the lumbar vertebrae to the thigh bone. It flexes and rotates the hips, flexes the trunk toward the thigh and tilts the pelvis. As I become aware of this muscle, I am beginning to understand why it is said that the psoas is also linked to our emotions.

Our teacher training manual quotes Liz Koch:

At the very core of your physical body lies a muscle that influences every aspect of well being. The psoas muscle, critical for balance, alignment, joint rotation and range of motion, also influences the circulatory system, the functioning of organs and diaphragmatic breathing. The only muscle to link the lumbar spine to the legs, it is a dynamic psoas that massages your vertebrae, viscera and organs with every walking step. 

The sensation of being centered and grounded comes from a healthy psoas in combination with a balanced weight-bearing pelvis.

The internal awareness that develops through yoga is the most important tool for learning to release the psoas. And releasing the psoas will bring new freedom, ease and structural integrity to yoga practice. 

No comments: